Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Ormiston 2-6 Burntisland Shipyard

Reece Brown nets hat-trick as Shippy hit six.

A five-goal blitz in the space of twelve minutes either side of the interval ensured the Shipyard completed a quickfire League double over Ormiston at a sun-drenched Recreation Park, the East Lothian version, as they got over the disappointment of last week’s result. Stuart Innes was forced to shuffle his pack again as the influential pair of Ross Lennie and Sam Glancy were missing through injury. Benn Hutchison and Jordan Galloway were the players selected to replace them.

The Shipyard were on the front foot from the outset with Reece Brown looking lively in opening minutes, however, it was an Ormiston player who handed the Visitors the lead in the sixth minute when under pressure to clear an Iain Millar long throw, he only succeeded in heading the ball into his own net. Good play down the left from Robbie Crawford and a step over from Brown presented Connor McQuade with a glorious opportunity but the diminutive midfielder elected to take a touch and he was closed down before he could get a shot away. Brown saw his free-kick from 22yards clear the bar in the 25th minute as the Shipyard continued to dominate. Ormiston were reduced to 10 men in the 37th minute and they can really have no complaints given the nature of Liam Demianczuk’s crude challenge on Jonny Galloway. This signalled an onslaught from the Shipyard and they went two up in the 41st minute thanks to a sensational strike from Grant Skinner. The full back drove forward, beat a couple of defenders and unleashed a ferocious shot giving home keeper Kieran Beveridge absolutely no chance. Within a minute it was 3-0 as Brown found himself in space just inside the box and lobbed the advancing keeper to notch his first of the day. Brown was involved again on the stroke of half-time as his inch perfect cross set up Crawford at the back post who knocked the ball home to make 4-0 and much to Ormiston’s relief the ref blew for half-time just after.

Reece Brown helped himself to a hat-trick.

The Shippy continued where they left off and scored a fifth three minutes after the break when Brown was somewhat contentiously adjudged to have been brought down in the box. Brown took the kick himself and easily beat Beveridge sending him the wrong way. Hutchison saw his shot held before Brown completed his hat-trick with a great goal. The young striker gathered the ball at the edge of the box and engineered himself some space before unleashing an unstoppable effort to put his team six up with 53 minutes on the clock. There was no mistaking the Shippy took their foot off the gas with a double substitution and a formation change disrupting their rhythm. Shippy keeper Michael Gibb saw his first real action in the 69th minute when he saved from Ormiston striker Jason Young. Substitute Andy Watt crossed for Crawford but the young Shippy winger saw his shot saved by Beveridge. The Shipyard were also reduced to 10 men in the 72nd minute when Millar was shown an extremely harsh second yellow card for a challenge the referee deemed to be a foul. The fact that Ormiston’s Young said that no foul had been committed cut no ice with the referee. Gibb made a good save stopping a shot from outside the box but you could sense that the Shipyard were not so comfortable now and they conceded two goals in as many minutes as firstly Tinashe Ruwona scored from the centre of the area and Young netted from close range to make the score look closer than it should have been. The manager was a little disappointed after the game when he said “We lost shape and discipline after I made changes and it should not have happened. The red card Milzy got was a wrong decision from my point of view. Nonetheless, I am very happy with the rest of the performance and of course the three points.”

This Saturday (28/9/19) the Shipyard welcome Craigroyston FC to Recreation Park for another league match. Kick off is at 2.30pm.

Ormiston: K. Beveridge, L. Reid, R. Cochrane (D. Boyne), R. Fairnie, L. Demainczuk, C. Hogg, C. McNab (B. Redondo), T. Ruwona, J. Young (C. Scott), A. Subasic, S. Brown.

Burntisland Shipyard: M. Gibb, Jor. Galloway, G. Skinner, R. O’Donnell, I. Millar, S. Strang, C. McQuade (N. Harley), J. Galloway, R. Brown (A. Watt), B. Hutchison (G. Dolan), R. Crawford.  Unused Subs: E. Stanfield, D. Hunter, A. Cooper, R. Connor.

Referee: B. Falconer.