Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Sauchie Juniors 4-0 Burntisland Shipyard

Shippy exit Scottish Cup.

The Shipyard fell at the first hurdle in this season’s Scottish Cup as they went down 4-0 to Sauchie Juniors at Beechwood Park on Saturday. The match was a lot tighter than the scoreline suggests as it was only in the closing stages that the hosts sealed their victory. The biggest problem for the Shippy was that they did not create enough opportunities to score, with Ben Anthony somewhat isolated as he ploughed a lone furrow up front. Iain Millar missed out through suspension, and his height was missed at the back, as was Kearyn Hicks’ who was not fit enough to take part. Lewis Ross and Shaun Keatings returned after being absent last week, however, Ryan O’Donnell missed out through work commitments.

The Shippy made a good start to the match and posed a threat in the first minute. Sauchie replied with a shot from Sam Davidson that Scott Costello comfortably saved. The Shipyard broke quickly in the 3rd minute as Mark James released Anthony down the right flank and Benji’s cross was met by the head of Craig Junior Thomson but the youngster couldn’t direct his attempt on target. Ross played a good ball to Thomson; however, his cross didn’t find a Shippy attacker. The game swung to the other end and Daniel Smith shot over for the hosts though neither team could get the upper hand at this stage. In the 24th minute Costello did well to save a powerful shot from the edge of the box but there was nothing he could do twelve minutes later as Sauchie took the lead. A great delivery from a corner found Jack Thomson who timed his run and jump to perfection and powerfully headed home from around eight yards out. In first half added time a free kick whipped into the box ended up just wide of Costy’s left-hand post.

There was a welcome return from Sam Glancy.

D. Smith was thwarted by Costello at the start of the second period and his namesake Mark tried a clever flick but couldn’t find the net. The Shippy had a great chance in the 57th minute when the ball found it’s way to Keatings at the back post, however, he was quickly closed down and his shot was blocked. Sauchie doubled their lead and made it an uphill struggle for the Shippy when ex-Shipyard youth player Lewis Payne scored with a left foot strike from some sixteen yards. A goal that had Shippy manager Lee Richardson bemoaning the lack of a serious challenge in the build-up. Only the sharp reflexes of Sauchie keeper Charles Clark denied the Shippy a goal as he reacted quickly to avert an own goal as Anthony’s great cross was deflected towards his own net by Lucas Williamson. Richardson made a few changes as he tried to get his men back into the match but as the game entered the final five minutes the hosts scored twice to make it a more flattering result. The first came from a penalty after Ryan Watt was adjudged to have tripped Payne in the area. The big striker took the kick himself and he slotted the ball home. The second was scored by substitute Jack Fisher who found the net from the centre of the box in the 88th minute.

After the match Richardson said “I thought we competed well in the first half, though that being said we didn’t create enough chances. Towards the end we ran out of steam and conceded two late goals which I thought flattered Sauchie. However, they were the better team and deserved to go through to the next round.”

We quickly return to action with a league match at Dalkeith on Tuesday night (5/9/23). Kick off for this one is at 7.30pm.

Sauchie Juniors: C. Clark; C. Willaghan; S. Davidson; J. Thomson; L. Williamson; B. Morgan; D. Smith; S. Davidson; M. Smith; L. Payne; R. Hutchison. Subs: T. Elvin; S. Muir; D. Carroll; A. Peacock; D. Carr; G. McDermott; K. Jackson; J. Fisher.

Burntisland Shipyard: S. Costello; L. Ross; S. Glancy; H. Milne; M. Gibb; C. Watt; S. Keatings (R. Watt); H. Kay; B. Anthony (B. Murray); M. James (C. Lewis); CJ. Thomson (D. Thomson).

Referee: R. Kennedy.