Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Coldstream 1 Burntisland Shipyard 2

Big Hendo dumps Coldstream in gripping encounter.

The Shipyard came from behind to record their first victory since 12th September as they beat Coldstream 2-1 at Home Park. The teams had endure difficult conditions with a very wet pitch and persistent rain falling from the leaden skies. However, the conditions did not trouble the players as both teams gave their all in search of much needed points. The Shipyard had to shuffle the pack prior to kick off with JP McPhail pulling out in the warm up and his place in the starting eleven went to Ewan Fotheringham.

The Shippy hadn’t played since 14th November and it showed in the first half as they struggled to get a foothold in the game, though they did have a chance in the opening minute when Brendan Napier burst into the hosts box but before he could get his shot away big defender James Scott’s perfectly timed tackle denied him the opportunity. The Streamers hit back in the 7th minute when Hagen Steele’s shot brought out a fine save from Jordan Mushet, the loose ball fell to Danny Simpson but he could only hit the side netting for a tight angle. Coldstream took the lead in the 15th minute and Simpson made no mistake this time as he broke clear of the Shippy rear-guard and stroked the ball beyond Mushet from around 16yards. Coldstream continued to dominate at this stage and Mushet saved with his leg from Steele. Mark James had an attempt at goal for the Shipyard but his shot was straight at keeper Chris Watson and a couple of minutes later Napier got on the end of a lay off from Ewan Henderson but he shot over from 20yards. In the 36th minute Coldstream’s Ashley Langford tried his luck and was unfortunate to see his strike deflected for a corner, though Coldstream did have a shot on target in the 42nd minute but Mushet again produced a fine save to deny the home team as they continued to dominate the first half.

Jordan Mushet was in top form v Coldstream

Jordan Mushet was in top form v Coldstream

The same pattern continued in the early part of the second half as Mushet saved from Langford following a defensive slip and the keeper was back in action in the 50th minutes as he touched a cross away from danger. The Shipyard were now starting to get into the match and put a bit of pressure on the home defence and in the 61st minute Watson was at full stretch to tip over a Conor Drury free-kick. A minute later Watson was in the thick of the action again as he pushed a Napier cross round the post for a corner. The Shippy were awarded a penalty in the 64th minute when Adam Doig was brought down as he burst into the box. It was Henderson who placed the ball on the spot and big Hendo made no mistake a he lashed the ball home the draw the Shipyard level. Coldstream almost hit back immediately but again Mushet was up to the task as he saved from Langford again. The Shipyard then passed up a great chance to take the lead in the 69th minute when Fotheringham broke clear of the Coldstream defence, however, his rushed shot was easily saved by Watson when he might have went in on the keeper or squared the ball to the unmarked Napier for a tap in. The Shipyard pressure paid off in the 71st minute when they took the lead though it was a disaster for keeper Watson as he let Napier’s shot slip through his legs and into the corner of the net. Napier spurned a great chance for his second and the Shipyard’s third in the 84th minute when he gathered a poor clearance from the keeper, however, he could not get enough power or loft on his attempt from 30yards and Watson was able to save his own blushes. Coldstream were putting the Shipyard defence under pressure in the closing stages and Mushet capped an excellent display with another great save as he blocked a powerful strike from Jason Inglis before the danger was cleared. With darkness descending quickly on Home Park the Shippy were able to see the game out and collect a much needed three points and confidence boost.

After the match Coach Raymond Drury who was standing in for the absent Alex Lowe said “In the first half we certainly rode our luck a little bit and were happy to go in at half time just one nil down, mainly thanks to some great goalkeeping by Jordan. Also, I felt in the first half we weren’t getting the right service into big Hendo and not enough support around him”. Things improved in the second half and Raymond explained “In the changing room at half time Pete (Bell) and myself sat the boys down and explained what we needed to do and from the first whistle in the second half the whole team done their job to a tee and we went on to win the game and grab a much needed win and valuable three points”.

Coldstream: C. Watson; B. Maxwell; J. Gameiro; J. Scott; A. Vannini; J. Inglis; D. Simpson; P. Hossack; A. Langford; D. Sutherland; H. Steele. Subs: T.Farr; C. Craven; K. Scott; J. Doncaster.

Burntisland Shipyard: J. Mushet; P. Bell; E. Anderson; A. MacDonald; C. Lowe; M. James; E. Fotheringham; C. Drury (B. Couper); E. Henderson; B. Napier; A. Doig (S. Devaney). Unused Sub: JP McPhail.

Referee: M. Rennie.