Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Bowhill Rovers. 3 Burntisland Shipyard. 0

Shipyard well beaten by title challengers

The shipyard produced a lacklustre performance as Bowhill brushed them aside for a comfortable 3 – 0 win at Wallsgreen Park. It was easy to see which team is challenging for the league title as Bowhill were first to nearly every ball, won their individual battles and scored a couple of great goals. The only change to the Shipyard team from Saturday’s win against Star Hearts was Neil Johnston replacing Craig Russell, who took a place on the bench.

The Shipyard had the first attempt on goal in the 3rd minute when J. Williams’ shot after a good run was pushed round the post by Bowhill keeper Lennox. In the 11th minute Bowhill almost broke the deadlock when a deep corner was headed onto the bar. 4 minutes later Bowhill did take the lead when Jamie Gay’s left foot volley flashed past Houston in the Shipyard goal. Shipyard defender Cook then had to come off injured after hurting his back. McCue had a strike at goal in the 18th minute that was easily held by Lennox. Houston was called into action again when he was at full stretch to tip a fierce drive over the bar. In the 35th minute Gay made it 2 – 0 to Bowhill with another stunning strike, an identical volley to his first but,  from a bit further out giving Houston no chance. Just on half time Bowhill almost made it three after a slice of luck, when the ball broke off the referee but, A. Reilly blasted over.

The second half did not come to life until the 58th minute when Houston saved well from A. Reilly after Grieve had missed the ball. From the resultant corner the Shipyard defence had to work hard to scramble the ball away from danger. The Shipyard had a rare attempt at goal when Leishman got a shot away after receiving a knock down from a free-kick. Bowhill were now picking the Shipyard off with long balls over the top and twice in as many minutes the Shipyard were relieved to see the ball go wide. McCue was trying his best to get the Shipyard back into the game and almost succeeded when after a good run his shot was blocked for a corner. In the 84th minute Grieve produced a couple of fine blocks, stopping good goal scoring opportunities. The Shipyard defence had an amazing escape in the 88th minute when Houston misjudged a corner and the Shipyard players had to throw themselves in front of the ball to stop a goal. Bowhill made it 3 – 0 in the final minute and Gay completed his hat-trick when he slotted home a penalty, after Grieve had upended a Bowhill forward in the box. The match was excellently refereed by ex-Shipyard player Damien Bray who was a late stand-in for the original official. After the match manager Whitehead did not mince his words when he said “that was unacceptable, only one team showed any hunger or desire to win the match”.

Teams: Bowhill Rovers: Lennox; S. Reilly; Ritchie; Noble; McCormack; Baird; Kinnell; Mellon; A. Reilly; Wright; Gay. Subs: Doyle; K. Reilly; Hindley; Gear.

Burntisland Shipyard: Houston; McAndrew; Whyte (Russell); Cook (Williams); Grieve; Small; M. Hamilton; Leishman; McCue; Johnston; J. Williams. Unused Subs: Dow; Hutt; S. Hamilton.

Referee: D. Bray.