Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard 1-5 Lothian Thistle HV

Five star Docherty as Shippy feel the heat.

The first match in the second century of the Shipyard’s existence did not go well as they were well beaten after a five-star performance from Lothian striker Jamie Docherty who scored all five of his side’s goals. The former St Johnstone player made the Shippy defence endure a torrid afternoon, as they could not cope with his pace and skill throughout the ninety minutes. Indeed, the nineteen-year-old could probably have added to his tally had Shipyard keeper Ryan Adamson not been in such fine form. Was a more cynical approach required to stop him? Let’s just say there were former Shipyard defenders in attendance who would have not have allowed him the freedom he got every time he gained possession. Nonetheless, the young man deserves enormous credit for a magnificent performance.

Ryan Adamson produced some fine saves.

There was not much in the way of goalmouth action in the first quarter of an hour with the teams evenly matched at this stage, however, the visitors started to dominate after this and only superb defending from Jordan Galloway denied Hutchy Vale the opener. Docherty didn’t have his sights set yet as he missed the target in the 18th minute. Twice in a matter of a minute Adamson pulled of good saves to keep his side level with his stop from Ryan Hutchison particularly impressive. Adamson saved again in the 28th minute with his team somewhat under pressure. Andy Watt had the Shippy’s first attempt on target in the 33rd minute when he nodded a Grant Skinner free-kick towards goal though Kevan Swain saved comfortably. The match swung firmly in Hutchy Vale’s in the 37th minute. Once again, a long ball over the top caused havoc in the Shipyard defence and with Adamson out of his goal Sandy Strang bundled over the Hutchy Vale forward leaving referee Stephen Gill no choice but to show Strang a red card for denying a goalscoring opportunity. When the dust had settled Docherty smashed the free-kick low into the net to notch his first of the afternoon.

sandy Strang saw red for denying goalscoring opportunity.

The Shipyard came out for the second half with the bit between their teeth and were level in the 49th minute, albeit thanks to a slip from Dylan Moore. Watt gathered the ball and squared to Reece Brown who knocked home his tenth goal of the season. The Shippy then had three good chances as Robbie Crawford cut in from the left only to see his shot blocked and when the loose ball broke to Rab Kinnaird at the edge of the box Swain was at full stretch to turn his fierce strike away for a corner. From the resultant set piece Watt was frustrated that he could not get his header on target. Adamson produced two good saves in the 53rd and 56th minutes while at the other end Crawford had another shot blocked. The Shipyard defence wilted in the 73rd minute as Docherty ran through and confidently beat Adamson to regain the lead. Ross Lennie almost got the Shipyard level as his powerful drive was cleared off the line but with the Shippy defence tiring under the warm conditions and being a man light Hutchy or Docherty for that matter, took control. The youngster was now finding acres of space and he ensured the victory as he completed his hat-trick with a fine finish. Docherty remarkably got his fourth and fifth goals in the closing stages with two more quality finishes with his solo effort for the fifth probably the best of the match.

Reece Brown celebrates his goal.

The last match of what has been a roller coaster season takes place at Recreation park on Saturday (27/04/2019) with Tranent juniors being the visitors. Kick-off is at 2.30pm

Burntisland Shipyard: R. Adamson, Jor. Galloway, G. Skinner, R. O’Donnell, S. Strang, B. Hutchison (R. Bernard), R. Brown, R. Lennie (P. Bell), A. Watt, R. Kinnaird (C. Simpson), R. Crawford. Unused Sub: R. Connor.

Lothian Thistle HV: K. Swann, L. O’Donnell, R. Smith, D. Moore, P. Crawford, A. Muir, R. Hutchison, K. Brown, S. Wringe, N. Doherty, J. Docherty. Subs: M. McIntosh & F. Hendry.

Referee: S. Gill.