Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard 2-1 Peebles Rovers

Shippy win following controversial penalty.

The Shipyard got their first win of the season on Saturday as they beat Peebles Rovers 2-1 at Recreation Park. A twice taken Ben Anthony penalty in the 89th minute was all that separated the sides when the final whistle sounded, and as controversial as the penalty incident was, it would have been a travesty had the Shippy not taken all three points given the amount of chances they had created during the match. Sandy Strang was the only one of last week’s absentees to return, however, his inclusion was countered by Dale Allan dropping out due to the injury he sustained last week at Oakley, meaning that once again there were six players unavailable for the match.

Jay Bridgeford nets his first Shipyard goal.

The forecasted wind and rain had not materialised during the morning and although the wind was strengthening it stayed dry throughout the match. The Shipyard had the elements behind them in the first half but there was an early shock instore for them as Peebles took the lead in the 7th minute. A fine defence splitting ball sent Harry McGill clean through and he calmly fired the ball beyond Michael Gibb into the net. That lead lasted barely a minute as Jay Bridgeford netted from close range after a Darrell Anthony cross came back off the bar. At this stage Rovers keeper Bob Hall looked in a bit discomfort but he soldiered on and played his part for his team with some excellent saves and none more so than when he got a hand to Tyler McKenzie’s shot after the youngster gathered the ball following B. Anthony’s strike smashing off the bar. Hall also produced fine saves from McKenzie again and D. Anthony. At the other end Gibb was not to be outdone as he saved well from a Craig Spalding drive. Jack Chesser was not too far away with a powerful shot and at the other end B. Anthony drove over from a good position.

Ben Anthony’s retaken penalty finds the back of the net.

The Shipyard made a change at the interval with Strang coming on to replace Raymond Crichton in the middle of the park. The Shippy passed up a glorious opportunity in the 48th minute when Strang burst clear and with Hall well out of his goal he passed to D. Anthony but the youngster shot from distance with the goal gaping rather than taking the ball closer in. D. Anthony was having no luck whatsoever as another effort from him hit the inside of the post and bounced clear. Peebles were dealt a blow in the 59th minute when they were reduced to ten men when Gary Tickle was sent off as he received a second yellow card. This did not adversely affect the visitors as they still got forward with the strong wind behind them as they created a couple of half chances, however, the Shipyard were still the more dangerous as they continued to threaten. Just when it looked like the game might finish all square the referee awarded the Shipyard a penalty as D. Anthony went down under a challenge near the goal line. Peebles were enraged at the decision and their mood only got worse when the referee ordered a retake after Hall saved B. Anthony’s poorly struck kick. It later emerged the referee had penalised Rovers sub Cameron Coppola for encroachment. B. Anthony stepped up again and beat Hall this time with a better placed strike into the corner of the net. Shippy manager Stuart Innes expressed a feeling of relief after the game when he said “Although we created a host of chances it seemed a goal was never coming so it’s great to pick up the three points and move on to next week”.

The Shipyard travel to Gardiners Park next week to face Lochgelly Albert in a league match with the kick-off being at 2.00pm.

Burntisland Shipyard: M. Gibb; M. Miller; R. O’Donnell; D. Hunter; G. Ross; R. Crichton (S. Strang); S. Keatings; T. McKenzie; B. Anthony; D. Anthony; J. Bridgeford (J. Galloway). Unused Sub: S. Costello.

Peebles Rovers: B. Hall; C. Henderson; L. Andrew; D. Brown; C. Spalding; G. Tickle; J. Chesser; R. Lamb; L. MacLean; H. McGill; D. Skinner. Subs: F. Neto; S. Mitchell; G. Doyle; J. MacKay; L. Taylor; D. Cursiter; C. Coppola.

Referee: K. Gibson.