Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Burntisland Shipyard 2 Peebles Rovers 2

Shipyard hold league leaders Peebles.

This entertaining match was marred by a spitting incident late in the game that saw two players red carded though the player who spat escaped punishment from the referee. Whether Peebles will discipline the player is a matter for them. Blair Smart and Dale Robertson returned to the starting eleven having been missing last week to replace the unavailable Brendan Napier and Billy Rogerson. Alex and Neil made a tactical change by putting Craig Lowe at right back and playing Smart in a holding midfield role.

Peebles started the better team but it was the Shipyard who took the lead in their first attack after ten minutes. Smart sent Adam Doig clear on the right wing and his low cross was controlled by Kevin Masson before he smashed it beyond Darren Walker in the Peebles goal. The Shipyard doubled their lead much against the run of play when they broke forward and good play between Robertson and Ethan Anderson set up Smart. Smart’s shot from the edge of the area took a slight deflection which took it past Walker and into the net. This double setback stirred Peebles into life and they took control of the game and pressed a nervy home defence who were struggling to clear their lines. Though they forced a series of corners the visitors still had not found a way to goal but that changed in the 25th minute. The Shipyard lost possession around 35 yards from goal and the ball was quickly played out to the left edge of the box where Jordan Hall hit the ball first time with the outside of his boot and he found the top corner at Jordan Mushet’s left hand post. Peebles drew level in the 38th minute when keeper Walker took a quick free-kick that caught out the Shipyard defence and although Scott Sutherland looked five yards offside the Shipyard defence were slow to react and Sutherland despatched the ball beyond Mushet beating him at his near post. Peebles pressed for the remainder of the half but the Shipyard defence held out.

The second half was a much more even game with the Shipyard defence much more composed and assured. Both Robertson and Doig broke down the right hand side but better deliveries were required if a chance was to be created. Peebles were playing a high line in the second half but Masson and Doig could not beat the offside trap, however, Masson did beat it in the 75th minute and was clean through on the keeper but he was thwarted by Walker who made a good save from his well struck low shot. Walker again denied Masson, this time saving his 30 yard free-kick attempt. Right on full time the Shipyard’s Ewan Henderson and Peebles’ Hall were red carded in the aftermath of the spitting incident. In fairness to Peebles, their manager apologised to big Hendo for the incident but the damage was done.

After the match when asked about his team’s performance Alex said “We were again very pleased with the work rate, effort and commitment the players showed, which lead to a well-deserved point. If we had defended as well in the first half as we did in the second then we may have taken all three points. I felt the second half performance was good, we created a few chances and played some decent football in spells. If we continue to work hard in training and apply ourselves correctly on the park then we will start to win games and gain some much needed confidence”.

Burntisland Shipyard: J. Mushet; C. Lowe; P. Bell; T. Arthur; A. Clark (A. MacDonald); D. Robertson; E. Henderson; B. Smart; E. Anderson (S. Keatings); K. Masson; A. Doig. Unused Subs: C. Samson & JP. McPhail.

Peebles Rovers: D. Walker; L. Zavaroni; D. MacAleavy; J. Young; D. Richardson; L. Maloney; F. Arthur; S. Sutherland; J. Hall; S. Connaghan; G. Rossi. Subs: D. Njadawi & P. Murray.
Referee: G. McVicar.