Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Culter. 4 Burntisland Shipyard. 0

Shipyard lose despite gallant performance

The Shipyard crashed out of the William Hill Scottish Cup at the first hurdle losing 4 – 0, but Culter certainly knew they were in a game and if it had not been for the fantastic saves from John Farquhar in the first half, it would surely have been all square at the interval with everything to play for. Manager Whitehead again had to make the most from his depleted squad, with Small, Johnston, Whyte, Tasker and Chalmers all missing. Andy Martin made his competitive debut in goal and sub Reece Doyle also made his debut late on.

The Shipyard were the first to create a chance when J.Williams lofted a ball into the box only for Russell’s header to be held by the keeper. From their first sight of goal Culter took the lead in the 6th minute, when McBain shot from 15 yards out on the angle and his shot beat Martin and went in off the far post. Marshall had a cross cum shot for the Shipyard gathered by Farquhar before a McCue free kick was headed away for a corner. From the resultant corner in the 16th minute the keeper produced the first of his fine saves when he palmed away a powerful Cook header. The Shipyard were pressing hard for an equaliser and McCue saw his shot held at the near post. McCue was in the thick of the action again in the 19th minute, this time cutting the ball back to Smart who shot over. In the 27th minute there was a controversial moment when. J. Williams was brought down right on the 18 yard line. The Shipyard appeals for a penalty were waved away as the assistant ruled that it was just outside the box. McCue’s excellent free-kick then scraped the outside of the post with the keeper beaten. Culter had pressure but there was nothing that was going to trouble Martin, with most efforts from distant and they were going high and wide. T. Williams did make a great interception to cut out a good chance for Culter, and then in the 35th minute Farquhar produced a wonder save to deny Russell. Russell met McCue’s corner flush on his forehead and powered in a great effort that somehow the keeper managed to get a hand to and touch it over for another corner. It was Martin’s turn next to make a save when he turned away a fierce shot in the 38th minute. Against the run of play Culter scored a second goal when McBain was on hand to head home at the near post for his second goal.

The Shipyard had to score the next goal and almost did so in the 49th minute when good work by Brough set up McCue but, his left foot shot was narrowly wide. Culter more of less tied the game up in the 57th minute when McBain completed his hat-trick. He latched onto a long ball from a suspiciously offside position to produce a fine finish, lobbing the advancing Martin. Culter were now in the ascendency and McAllister missed a good chance before Martin done well to touch a powerful free-kick onto the bar and over. Substitute Dow shot over for the Shipyard after good work from Hamilton and J. Williams. As the Shipyard began to tire in the last 15 minutes Culter had a goal chalked off for offside, then Wilson hit the outside of the post from around 18yards. Five minutes from time the Shipyard conceded an unlucky fourth goal when Smart diverted the ball into his own net in trying to cut out a dangerous cross. From a Shipyard point of view the game turned a little sour in injury time when both McCue and Hamilton received harsh second yellow cards when a warning would probably suffice. Billy was naturally disappointed to lose but was upbeat about some aspects of the game and said “But for their keeper it could have been level at half time as he produced two outstanding saves. I was very proud of my players today”.

Teams: Culter: Farquhar; Sim; Robertson; Rattray; Crosbie; Wilson; McAllister; Youngson; McWilliam; McKimmie; McBain. Subs: McIntosh; Mountford; Stott; Shaw; Donald.

Burntisland Shipyard: Martin; Grieve; Marshall (McAndrew); T. Williams (Dow); Smart; Brough; Hamilton; Cook; Russell; McCue; J. Williams (Doyle).  Unused Sub: Houston.

Referee: R. McIntyre.