Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Glenrothes 5-1 Burntisland Shipyard

Calamitous day for Shippy as defence crumbles.

A catalogue of horrendous errors cost the Shipyard dear at Warout Stadium on Saturday as Glenrothes were gifted an easy win. It really had to be seen to be believed, from the concession of a needless penalty in the 37th minute to losing the fifth goal in added time, because this wasn’t schoolboy defending as young players would be a damn sight better than this. Glenrothes were in charitable mood too as the Shipyard goal came from a bad mistake, however, they limited their howlers to just the one. Brian Breen made a return to the Shipyard ranks after a loan deal with Oakley United was agreed on Friday, allowing the big defender to take his place in the starting eleven. Ryan O’Donnell returned after illness and Gavin Ross was back in following a suspension.

The Shipyard made a bright start to the game and were on top in the opening stages as they dominated the ball. Ben Anthony drove the ball across the face of goal before a moment of pure brilliance in the 11th minute. The ball fell to Sandy Strang in the middle of the box and he smashed a thunderous shot towards goal. Incredibly, Glens keeper Ross Wortley dived to his left and touched Strang’s strike away for a corner. It was a truly remarkable save, undoubtedly the highlight of the match. Wortley was involved a few minutes later as he raced to the edge of his area to pip Anthony to the ball. When the ball was played in to Reece Brown his attempt lacked the power to trouble the keeper who had made his ground. In the twentieth minute Anthony’s shot beat the keeper but a defender was on the line to hack the ball clear. Glenrothes came into the match a bit more and created a couple of half chances without threatening the goal. Sam Glancy and Anthony both fired in long range efforts before the game turned dramatically. Ian Millar tangled in the box with a Glens player at a set piece and the referee quickly blew for a penalty indicating Millar had a hold of his opponent’s shirt.  Fionn McLeod Kay confidently converted from the spot. No complaints about the decision, however, if the ref gives a penalty for that, he should really be penalising a lot more.

Ben Anthony went close on a couple of occasions.

The Shippy were deservedly level within a minute of the restart following a clanger from Wortley as he slipped allowing Brown to knock home the loose ball. There was worse to follow. A Glancy free-kick was held by Wortley before Shippy keeper Michael Gibb’s day turned sour. Breen rolled the ball back to him and everyone was astonished when he let the ball go under his foot and trundle into the unguarded net to let the Glens regain the lead. Another Glancy free-kick was just off target and Millar did well to keep the ball in play at the back post but no Shipyard player was on hand to connect with the loose ball. At the other end Gibb stood big as Kay tried to dink the ball over him. Millar headed a Brown corner over as the Shipyard searched for the equaliser, however, calamity was about to strike at the other end again. Despite several chances to clear the ball no one managed to do it and suddenly Glens new signing Owen Andrew found himself with just Gibb to beat and he rounded the keeper and knocked the ball home. Gibb tipped substitute Lewis Hynd’s effort over the bar in the 75th minute but a fourth goal arrived seconds later when more slack play allowed Glenrothes to fire the ball across the face of goal for Andrew to net from close range at the back post with the Shipyard claiming in vain for offside. The final disaster arrived in added time with Gibb again culpable as he sclaffed another pass back at the expense of a corner. From the set play Patrick Calderwood rose unchallenged at the front post to head the ball home.

Reece Brown nets the Shipyard goal.

What looked like a very good performance and positive result in the offing, turned into a disastrous day for the Shipyard as they shot themselves in the foot time and time again and then need to drag themselves out of this current run quickly to save their season.

Another Fife derby awaits on Saturday (11/01/2020) as Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts visit for a cross conference league match at Recreation Park. Kick-off is at 2.00pm.

Glenrothes: R. Wortley, C. Kinnes, B. Duff (L. Hynd), A. McDonald, B. Smart, L. Grierson (C. Denton), L. Schiavone, S. McDonald, O. Andrew, F. Kay (P. Calderwood), S. King. Unused Subs: S. Russell, C. Watt, M. Millar, C. Richardson.

Burntisland Shipyard: M. Gibb, R. O’Donnell, I. Millar, B. Breen (A. Watt), G. Ross, S. Strang, S. Glancy, R. Lennie, B. Anthony, D. Allan, R. Brown. Unused Subs: D. Hunter, J. Galloway, K. Kwapinski.

Referee: N. Clac-Mansfield.