Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Leith Athletic 2-0 Burntisland Shipyard

Shipyard lose to relegation rivals.

The Shipyard lost to another relegation rival on Saturday, however, this time they made a fist of it and on another day might have come away with something to show for their efforts. Leith Athletic ran out 2-0 winners at Meadowbank Stadium thanks to two quickfire second half goals, one of them a penalty, and held onto their lead as the Shippy rallied and the visitors were unlucky to hit the woodwork three times in eight minutes as they fought to get back into the match. Unfortunately for the Shipyard there were several absentees from the squad with the usual injury, work commitments and unavailability being the reasons.

The hosts had the first opportunity in the 3rd minute after they found space down the left but when the shot came in it was pulled wide of the target. The Shipyard replied with a Shaun Keatings effort that he drove wide and he then fired over from the edge of the box. Rhys Wardlaw also shot wide and then the burly striker saw a shot held by Leith keeper Ben McGinley. At the other end Scott Costello saved well at point blank range and although the hosts were in and around the Shippy box on numerous occasions they were either over elaborate or hesitant when openings occurred. A driven shot was blocked by the Shipyard defence around the half hour mark before the best save of the match so far came from McGinley as he tipped over a fierce Sam Glancy drive.

The Shippy made a change at half-time as Jordan Galloway replace Robbie MacAuley. Leith created an opportunity in the 47th minute but Christopher Robertson drove the ball over and two minutes later Craig Watt acrobatically cleared the danger from inside the six yard box. Sandy Strang then replaced Wardlaw as the Shipyard shuffled their personnel. The hosts took the lead in the 65th minute when a deep cross from the right found Robbie King and the winger had time to control the ball and fire a left foot shot beyond Costello. Three minutes later Leith doubled their lead from the penalty spot after Scott Orrock was adjudged to have committed a foul on the lefthand side of the area. Kayne Paterson stepped up and converted the kick. The Shipyard heads didn’t go down as they took the game to Leith and the woodwork came to the hosts rescue on no fewer than three occasions. Firstly, Glancy drove forward and saw his dipping shot come back off the bar and three minutes later a sublime Galloway free kick hit the junction of post and bar with McGinley beaten. Then a wall that was no further than eight yards away blocked another Galloway set piece only for the ball to fall to Glancy who saw his strike hit the outside of the post and go behind. As the game entered the closing stages Leith were happy to counter and Costello saved well from King and in the 94th minute the big keeper tipped a free kick over the bar in what was the last meaningful action of the game.

Next week (15/4/23) we are on the road again as we travel to Ferguson Park, Rosewell to face Whitehill Welfare.

Leith Athletic: B. McGinley; D. Greatorex; J. Robertson; C. Hume; E. Farmer; C. Stewart; M. Barfoot; K. Paterson; S. Scott; C. Robertson; R. King. Subs: J. Scobie; M. Johnston; F. Williams; B. McNab; R. Carson; D. Burgess.

Burntisland Shipyard: S. Costello; L. Ross; D. Thomson; S. Orrock; R. MacAuley (J. Galloway); C. Watt; S. Keatings; D. Anthony; J. Wilson; S. Glancy; R. Wardlaw (S. Strang). Unused Subs: R. Connor & A. Brown.

Referee: B. Allan.