Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Leven United. 1 Burntisland Shipyard.1

Glendale Plastics League

Leven United.1 Burntisland Shipyard.1

The Shipyard dented Leven’s title aspirations at King George V Park with a late penalty equaliser, handing the initiative to Cupar for the League run in. Manager Whitehead had the luxury of almost a full squad with only Cook, Ferguson and Forrest being out.

In 6 minutes the Shipyard had the first effort on goal when after good build up, Huskie had his shot blocked. Leven responded immediately and Chalmers saved after a long ball was latched on to in the box. From the corner the ball broke to a Leven player but he shot wide. Leven were now putting the Shipyard defence under pressure and had three attempts at goal in as many minutes but, found Chalmers in fine form. Leven continued to dominate the first half with Chalmers pulling off another couple of saves. The Shipyard lost Allan to injury during the first half and he was replaced by Muirhead. Just on half-time a good run from Brown was wasted by a poor shot.

In the second half the Shipyard had the best of the early exchanges with a McCue free-kick being held by Seath in the Leven goal. 3 minutes later the same player put in a good cross but, there were no takers. In the 62nd minute a short cornerĀ from the Shipyard saw Aitken get a shooting opportunity but, his right foot effort was weak. Leven had the best chance of the match when McInnes burst through the Shipyard defence, only for Brown to put him under pressure and force him to shoot wide. Substitute O’Hanlon then shot over after good work from McCue. In 70 minutes Hamilton was next to try his luck with a shot from the edge of the box that also went over. Two minutes later Millar got into a good position but could not deliver a cross. In 73 minutes a swirling cross had Chalmers in trouble and he managed to palm the ball onto the bar before it was hacked clear. When the ball was worked back into the box Murray was standing all alone, looking suspiciously offside, he controlled the ball and fired it passed Chalmers to give Leven the Lead. The Shipyard stuck to the task and Brown and Bristow both had shots just wide. In 85 minutes O’Hanlon appeared to be fouled in the box and the referee agreed. Much to the Leven player’s disgust he awarded a penalty. Brian Muirhead kept his cool to blast the ball high into the net for a deserved equaliser. Leven triedĀ to get the winner but the Shipyard defence stood firm and Leven’s efforts were all in vain.

Teams: Leven United: Seath; Beattie; S. Murray; Smith; Lamont; McInnes; K. Murray; Orrock; Read; J. Murray; Rowbotham. Subs: McLuskie; D.Murray; Gartshore; McDonald.

Burntisland Shipyard: Chalmers; Brown; Aitken; Allan (Muirhead); Morris; Huskie (Bristow); Hamilton; Millar; Johnston; Bell (O’Hanlon); McCue. Unused Sub: Brough.

Referee: J. Blake.