Briggs Marine Logo- Main Sponsor

Main Sponsor: Briggs Marine

Thornton Hibs 0-0 Burntisland Shipyard

Stalemate in the mud at Memorial Park.

There were no goals but plenty of talking points in this ferociously fought Fife derby at Memorial Park on Saturday. The Shipyard were disappointed to only leave with a point given how much territory and possession they had, especially once Hibs were reduced to ten men, but once again they did not have enough efforts on target to muster that all important goal. Ethan Bauld and Harris Kay were missing after picking up injuries against East Fife. Mikey Couser, Matty Robertson and Ben Anthony were also absent from the squad that was on duty at New Bayview though Scott Costello and Sam Glancy returned. There was a Shippy debut, from the bench, for local youngster Boyd Dickson who signed for the Club on Thursday following a spell with Raith Rovers Community Club.

Boyd Dickson following his Shipyard debut.

Ex Shipyard player Raymond Crichton could count himself lucky the referee was lenient in the early minutes as only one of his two poor challenges was punished with a yellow card. There was very little goalmouth action in the early exchanges as both teams struggled to get to grips with the heavy pitch and it wasn’t until the 19th minute that an Iain Millar volley went close. Mark James then headed over from a corner as the Shippy started to get on top. Hibs were aggrieved that a Kearyn Hicks challenge only merited a yellow card following his tackle near the touchline. Thornton came more into the match as the first half drew to a close, however, Scott Costello was not unduly troubled in the Shippy goals.

The Shipyard started the second period strongly with Michael Gibb seeing his shot blocked then Shaun Keatings may have been better served heading the ball towards goal rather than bringing it down on his chest, allowing the Hibs defence to close him down and clear the danger. James had another attempt at goal after a Shippy free kick was partially cleared however he couldn’t get his strike on target. The game erupted in the 64th minute following a wild lunge by Euan Hay on Millar with the Hibs man leaving the referee with no option but to show him a red card. Challenges were now flying in all over the park with the ref dishing out a series of yellow cards as he tried to keep a lid on things, which by and large he did, though some could consider themselves lucky not to head for an early bath. Keatsy drove a loose ball over in the 69th minute and soon after his free kick from the edge of the box curled away from the target. The free kick had been awarded after Dan Thomson used his power and skill to drive towards the area and was only denied a penalty as the referee deemed that the offence started outside the box. Thornton were still very dangerous on the break and Costy reacted quickly to deny the hosts when the ball fell kindly for them at the edge of the Shipyard area. Another driving run and a great pass from D. Thomson set up substitute Robbie MacAulay, however, is powerful angled drive whistled just past the far post. Costy saved low at his near post from Garry Thomson as Hibs again broke dangerously but despite all the huffing and puffing on the gluepot pitch the match remained goalless.

Next Saturday (11/11/23) we welcome league leaders Bo’ness Athletic to Recreation Park for their first ever visit to Burntisland. Kick-off is at the usual time of 2.30pm.

Thornton Hibs: Calum Sutherland; Dean McMillan; Stuart Drummond; Sean Cunningham; K. Allan; J. McNeish; H. Duffy; R. Crichton; G. Thomson; L. Horsburgh; E. Hay. Subs: A. Adam; C. Doctor; M. Coleman; A. McCallion; L. Rodger; R. Westwater.

Burntisland Shipyard: S. Costello; L. Ross (B. Dickson); I. Millar; M. James; K. Hicks; C. Watt; M. Gibb (R. MacAulay); S. Glancy; S. Keatings; CJ. Thomson (R. Watt); D. Thomson (B. Murray).

Referee: S. Simpson.